Cana
I'm exhausted.  We took a little extra time off this winter because I just couldn't teach with all the paint around, we did three rooms in three weeks.  Pictures should be up soon on What I'm Learning Now I spent this weekend putting together our 2nd semester.

First, Callie will no longer be taking art classes from the local middle school.  This is her choice, but I'm so glad she made it.  It was a learning experience for her and as is the case with most learning experiences, there was good and bad.  She had some wonderful experiences with her teachers, whom I have nothing but praise for, and some good experiences with her classmates.  She also had some bad experiences with the several members of the administration and most of her classmates.  Her final statement on the whole thing, "If this is what the middle school is like, I don't want to see the high school."  Me either.

Now on to the fun stuff.  I guess years of practice are starting to pay off.  I'm getting pretty good at this home school thing.  I'm doing both the kids almost completely different, excluding PE and Spanish.

Callie, who is my liberal arts, unstructured learner, will be embracing the Charlotte Mason Method.  To help improve her writing skills, which are in need of some attention, most of her narrations will be written.  I love this method.  Nothing is better than a good book.  She will be reading some great books this semester, including The Jungle, Macbeth, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Animal Farm and Narrative of Sojourner Truth.  She will also be participating in a local Science Fair.  We will be continuing our math using Math U See.

Brent, who hasn't met a checklist he didn't immediately fall in love with, will be doing thematic studies using three books from Teacher Created Resources.  We have used these before and he loves them.  He will be studying from Our Country, Electricity and Oceans.  These are literature based thematic units.  He will also be using Math U See as well.

Both kids will be learning Spanish using Rosetta Stone.  For PE we are going to participate in the President's Challenge.  I'm super excited about this.

In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr Day on Monday, we will be spending the day learning about the man and his movement.  Here are some great links:  The Learning Network MLK Resources, The King Center, King Institute, Text and Video of the speech, and History.com.
1 Response
  1. Awioa Says:

    Sounds like a busy semester.