Cana
My son had 41 spelling words last week.

I teach my kids spelling and grammar rules, but we do things in a way that feels natural to us.  Reading is core to our literature based education, so I have no concerns about them not having a diverse vocabulary.  As I review their work, any misspelled words are added to a list.  This list becomes next weeks spelling list.  If I see them struggling with a specific rule, I will add words that will help them understand it.  I use Spelling City to create lists and worksheets for them to work on that week.

Theoretically, they could have no spelling, but this has yet to happen. Usually they hover around 10 to 20 words, but my son had a epic week.  Most were errors because he didn't want to take the time to look up the word, but 41 is a lot of spelling words!

The Tuckers Take Tennessee
4 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Great blog. I have enjoyed seeing what you are up to in your home school.
    I'm a new follower on twitter from the Hip Homeschool Hop
    as @melaniederrick

    www.joyfulhousewife.com


  2. Cana Says:

    Thank you so much. I love the seeing all the blogs on the Hop. Sometimes I forget that there are so many homeschoolers out there!


  3. Wow - that is a LOT of spelling words! :) But I like the theory behind it - keep working on it til you get it right. :)

    Stopping by to say "Hi" from the Hip Homeschool Hop!
    I just wanted to introduce myself as the newest member of the HHM team - I'm looking forward to getting to know you!

    - Ashley Pichea
    @apichea
    ashleypichea.com


  4. Cana Says:

    It was a lot of words. I have a feeling he will get better use out of his dictionary next week. lol