Cana
I have been homeschooling a little over a year.  I am currently loving Sandra Dodd's website.  http://www.sandradodd.com/unschooling  I feel like it all makes perfect sense.  When I implement artificial constraints on the kids, they resist and though learning does occur, the ability to remember what was learned is lost as is the love of learning.  Also they seem less happy.  I have spent the last 3 weeks or so learning everything I can about this homeschooling method.  My husband has teased me about the constant emails on my phone.  During this time we were mostly on vacation so it was easy to allow the kids to take a break from school and just do what they wanted.  No surprise to a more seasoned homeschooler, but the kids didn't become mindless lazy little people.  As the return to school time approached my hubby and I had several talks about the kids choosing what they wanted to learn.  He agreed to give it a try, knowing change was needed.  

Sandra's site has been very helpful at allowing me to see what the method really is.  For me, the name unschooling was frightening, I saw it as unlearning.  I was nervous and the site reassured me.  Now my kids are reassuring me.  Callie is completely passionate about music and is more excited about the arrival of her violin than an upcoming holiday.  Brent is so interesting and intelligent, I couldn't force him not to learn.  

So Monday came and went and no major back to school moment occurred.  The kids are still filling their time with what they want and a whole lot of learning is going on.  
1 Response
  1. Awioa Says:

    ahhh... spring fever I don't want to work so I know school would be out for me